Who here remembers the formula for the surface area of a cone?? 🙋🏻♀️ You might need it to figure out how to decorate a 12 foot tree... it's not easy to guesstimate!
I definitely had to Google and do the math to figure out my BIGGEST question after buying this gorgeous 12' tree: Just how many decor items was it going to take to fill this beauty up?
To rewind a bit, let's recap the selection and assembly of this very tall new friend!
The minute I moved into the Sunlight South house, I said I wanted a huge tree for the living room (the ceilings are 20'). I chose this pre-lit version from Wayfair at a steal price of just $350, considering many of this size can go up to $1500 and more.
It was also important for me to get a "slim" version so that the base didn't take up the whole living room! I love that you can filter results easily like that on Wayfair.
Did I know exactly how I'd assemble or decorate this without a ladder? ...Absolutely not. Bought it anyway. Because my Christmas dreams are the size of the Biltmore House and we were going to make it work.
I must share a HUGE pro tip was found in the reviews during my 12' tree search -- assemble it near your second floor so that you can reach the top!
I had big fears too about how long it would take to fluff once it arrived, but two helpers and I got it done in less than 2 hours (even though we all hate fluffing, it was fun to get it done together fast.)
So back to the real math problem -- being totally new to the 12' Christmas tree game, I had NO idea how to shop for decor!
What I did know was that I wanted to get away from traditional red this year and incorporate some cool black ornaments to make it elegant. And that I would need a LOT of ribbon... (the wired kind for shaping)
First, here's the Kingswood Fir Green Artificial Christmas Tree with Clear/White Lights by Mercury Row. (Answer: It turns out that the surface area of this tree is about 78 sq ft.)
I also knew that part of it would eventually face the corner of a wall, so.... with this square footage info very roughly in mind...
Here's my shopping list:
3. Eight bunches of white Christmas floral bundles from At Home - they have 6 picks each - I loved the pop of brighter green in these so much! I may get more of these...
4. Oreo candy canes! The black and white stripe candy cane definitely gives that stamp of Christmas fun while staying on theme. I bought 2 packages of them last-minute walking through the checkout aisle of Michael's! (shop online here)
5. And then the wired ribbon choices all came via Michael's. I bought 4 spools each of black glitter, black and white flannel (similar here), and champagne satin. Let me tell you -- black glitter is dramatic but the flannel ribbon is the best part of this tree! It's wintery, elegant, and comfortable.
Then, we got busy on the ribbon -- this was also my first time doing the ribbon technique! So I'll be continuing to mess with the loops I can reach 🤣 The satin was the hardest to shape.
After that, we added all the ornaments, and finished with the floral picks and candy canes. The ribbon is done equally around the tree, but all the other ornaments are concentrated on the front 70%. Once we moved it, the other 30% is facing a corner.
Allow me to finalize this math so you can see how densely decorated your tree will be...
- We used about 10.5 spools of ribbon (25' each) = 262.5'
- 132 ornaments
- 48 floral picks
- 24 candy canes
Depending on your taste, you could easily double the amount of ribbon or ornaments, but I'm very satisfied with how this turned out.
Having it close to the second floor landing was key for decorating the top -- we never needed a ladder!
Lastly, all this needed was a tree topper (I am looking for one like this) and the tree box! I have this rustic version from Amazon that is absolutely GENIUS because the 4 sides just Velcro together. No worries about having to lift the tree in and out!
For years I have wanted a massive "Mom" tree that I could break tradition and do something super glamorous with! This black and white and champagne creation is making my 2020 heart soooo very happy.
It takes a little math and pre-planning to figure out how to decorate a 12 foot tree of your dreams...
Here's how we did it -- I'd love to see yours!