A conversation starter and a space saver all-in-one! Why investing in a cabinet Murphy bed is worth it and how I became a huge fan.
The first thing (after shopping) that I wanted to do after purchasing the Sunlight South house was have people visit and experience the tree house magic!
If you're not sure what a Murphy bed is but are into multi-functional pieces, you'll love this one. When all folded up, it simply looks like a cabinet that fills the empty space underneath the TV. When pulled out, it's the comfiest and coziest spot to have extra guests spend the night.
As far as furniture and decor go in the Sunlight South house, it's quite the eclectic mix. Some items are brand new investment pieces, some are items I've had since my kids were babies, and some are items that simply get the job done.
If you guessed that the Murphy bed fell into the investment category... you are correct! 😬 Along with the sectional, these were the two pieces I spent the most on because I knew we would have them around for awhile and that they were durable.
Here is the Murphy bed all folded up! Be honest... If you saw this for the first time, would you think there was a whole queen bed tucked up in there?!
What makes it even better is that it only takes a minute or two to transform into a bed. My 10-year old son can do it on his own and is always down to help someone assemble - because it is just that easy.
To transform it into a bed, you simply pull out the bottom drawer, undo the side latches, and then let down the front half of the cabinet. The front of the cabinet then becomes the base of the bed, and there is a tri-fold mattress inside that unfolds on top of the base.
Add some fresh linens and some decorative pillows and your makeshift guest room is ready!
I love how gorgeous the piece is on its own, but the features are what sold me! Here are my favorites:
1. Memory Foam Mattress - I've been told by multiple guests that this mattress is actually more comfortable than their OWN bed. Finding a good mattress can be tricky these days, so the fact that it came with one that was incredibly comfortable was a huge win.
2. Side Table - One side of the Murphy bed has a small end table that lifts up from the bottom. It's the perfect place to store a water bottle, toiletries, or anything else your guests may need during their stay. It also makes it feel way more inviting!
3. Built-in Dual Power/USB - We love convenience over here! Having the outlets right next to the bed makes plugging in chargers or lamps so much easier. Say goodbye to bending cords or having the furniture stick out from the wall just to fit the plug in the outlet.
4. Latch Closure - Especially if you have kids around, this gives you a little piece of mind. It is a hefty piece of furniture, so having that easy to use latch system to keep it secure when not in use is great.
5. Hidden Storage - The bottom drawer is a stand-alone piece that pulls all the way out. I found that it's the perfect space to store extra blankets and pillows!
If you're hoping to have a space other than the couch and with a little more privacy for your guests, go the Murphy bed route! Just be careful... you may end up wanting to sleep on it instead of your own bed 🤣